Sunday, February 20, 2011

shōjin ryōri

Inspired by a book I got for my last birthday from my best friend I wanted to consume some leftovers the fancy buddhist way.
The book is called The Heart of Zen Cuisine by Soei Yoneda and is a zen buddhist cookery instruction volume. It shows how to prepare vegetable and which dishes match the current season.
I didn't use original recipes, but I used some ingredients from the marinade recipes.
In the big bowl there is rice, brown champigongs, alfalfa sprouts and natto. Side dishes were kimchi, steamed and marinated savoy and sautéed carrots, leek and zucchini with sesame. Not only was I filled the entire day but the fresh vegetables were just as pure and nutritionally complete as I needed a meal to be these days.
I really enjoyed preparing the meal just for myself and quietly tasting every flavour for itself. I should do this more often, but the orignal recipes are usually really time-consuming. Of course it's worth it. So there will be more when I feel like cutting my carrots into the shape of cherry blossoms *lol*
I will have to buy some new japanese ingredients, since my rice wine is really old and I've run out of miso and other important stuff. I will go shopping this week and the upcoming recipe will be mochi pizza. Really looking forward to that.

No comments:

Post a Comment